Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Why am I here?

I’ve toyed with the idea of blogging for many years. I’ve even gone so far as to set up blogs that I never wrote on or wrote one post and abandoned. I wrote a very short-lived newsletter about being a stay at home mom. I post a ridiculous amount of opinion on Facebook both on my own page and in forums. But blogging has always seemed like a daunting task.

I’ve always thought if I’m going to blog, it should be about something specific. Crafting, books, politics, kids- something I know about. But where to focus? How to focus?

There are more blogs and parenting sites than I can possibly count and I’ve noticed a lack of information for parents who are atheists and trying their best to raise critical thinkers and free thinkers. Overall, the basics of parenting are the same regardless of belief. Feed them, clothe them, shelter them… but any parent knows there is so much more involved. How do we raise our kids to question everything and only believe those things we have evidence for or real theories about?

In an increasingly religious society, how do we raise our kids to not accept anything based on faith?

I don’t claim to have all the answers. In fact, I don’t claim to have any answers. After posting the question “What would you like addressed as an atheist parent” in my A Club, I already have more to write about than I can possibly tackle. I’m just here to give my opinion, share resources, and share my own experiences of what it’s like trying to raise critically thinking heathens in a world full of religion and religious bigotry.

I welcome all questions, posts, etc. and seriously hope to get some good discussions going. Enjoy the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment